Heartsaver® First Aid CPR AED Course
For anyone with limited or no medical training who needs to learn how to respond to and manage a first aid, choking or sudden cardiac arrest emergency in the first few minutes until emergency responders or healthcare professionals take over. Students learn skills such as how to treat bleeding, sprains, broken bones, shock and other first aid emergencies. This course also teaches adult CPR and AED use.
Intended for anyone with little or no medical training who needs a course completion card for job, regulatory or other requirements. These courses can also be taken by anyone who wants to be prepared for an emergency in any setting.
Content and Modules
- Describe the key steps in first aid
- Describe the assessment and first aid actions for the following life-threatening conditions: heart attack, difficulty breathing, choking, severe bleeding, shock, and stroke
- Use an epinephrine pen
- Control bleeding and bandaging
- Describe how to find information on preventing illness and injury
- Recognize the legal questions that apply to first aid rescuers
- Perform high-quality CPR for an adult
- Demonstrate how to use an AED on an adult
- Optional modules: Child and Infant CPR
- Optional written exam
Heartsaver First Aid CPR AED Student Workbook includes:
- Heartsaver First Aid CPR AED Quick Reference Guide
- Adult CPR AED Reminder Card
- Child and infant CPR AED reminder card
Heartsaver First Aid CPR AED Student Workbook eBook includes:
- Heartsaver First Aid CPR AED Digital Quick Reference Guide
- Adult CPR AED Digital Reminder Card
- Child and infant CPR AED Digital Reminder Card
Course Format and Exam
In the Instructor-led format, students participate in video – based lessons and learning stations. Students work with an AHA BLS or Heartsaver Instructor to complete the First Aid, CPR and AED skills practice and skills testing. Students also complete a written exam in class.
In the blended learning format, students take the cognitive portion online and schedule a Skills Practice Session and Skills Test with an AHA instructor. Click “Take Course Online” to learn more.
Course Completion Card Type
AHA Heartsaver First Aid CPR AED course completion card is valid for 2 years.